As part of LUPE’s Mano de Apoyo (Helping Hand) program, our Social Services Program responds to the social and economic needs of low-income people in South Texas in their struggle to overcome the barriers and challenges they face in their daily lives. For many LUPE members, this serves as an entry point to the LUPE experience. In course of addressing their immediate needs, people begin building a relationship to the organization.
Members receive the following services at low or no cost:
- Preparation of immigration applications necessary for obtaining legal status.
- Representation by our staff immigration attorney
- Preparation of income tax returns coupled with advocacy on behalf of families having a tax dispute or controversy with the IRS.
- Translation of various official documents (from English to Spanish and vice versa) for the purpose of assisting people in responding to same.
- Preparation of notarized statements and documents for submission to schools or other government entities in response to requests made by same.
- Interventions with local government officials, (i.e., convincing law enforcement officials to forego escort fees [$350] for funeral processions of low-income families).
- Assisting in the transferring of auto titles in order to secure the family’s primary means of transportation – a lifeline that connects people with employment locally and/or out of state.
- Workers rights advocacy — assisting workers in recovering unpaid wages from employers, and/or assisting them in obtaining employment reinstatement when unfairly terminated.
- Referral to the Texas Civil Rights Project for a wide range of legal services focused on protecting the civil rights of low-income people.
- Individual: $40
- Married couple: $60
- Special student rate: $20
Photo ID valid for one year.