LUPE to Parents: Don’t Let Income Tax Ignorance Jeopardize Your Children’s Financial Aid

La Unión del Pueblo Entero has an important message for parents of students who are applying for financial aid: not filing your income tax could put your student’s financial aid opportunities at risk.

Abraham Diaz, LUPE's education specialist, presents on college access in colonia community meeting. Three youth sit close by listening.
Abraham Diaz, LUPE’s education specialist, presents on college access in colonia community meeting.

“Parents sacrifice so much for their child’s education,” said Abraham Diaz, education specialist for La Unión del Pueblo Entero. “But ignorance around parents’ income tax requirements may lead to students missing out on the financial aid they need to attend and complete higher education. Let LUPE help you understand the steps you need to take to give your student the best chance at financial aid success.”

LUPE invites parents and students to contact us to learn about how income tax impacts financial aid, including:

  • If you fail to file your taxes, your college-bound child risks not receiving financial aid. If you were required to file a federal income tax return but did not do so and did not obtain an extension or suspension, your student will be ineligible for federal and state financial aid until you file a federal income tax return.
  • Your child applying for FAFSA or TASFA will need your 2018 Income Tax Year return or transcript. Don’t worry, it is not too late to file your 2018 return.
  • While the priority deadline has passed, students can still file for their 2020 financial aid package. The earlier you file, the more grant money you are likely to receive.
  • Some parents may need to apply for or renew their Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) in order to file income tax, which they will need to do before their child applies for FAFSA or TASFA.
  • If you do not have a social security number and do not qualify for an ITIN number, other options are available.
  • In the State of Texas, all students regardless of immigration status may be eligible for free financial aid packages.

Parents and students can reach LUPE with their questions related to financial aid and income tax by calling 956-787-2233 or messaging our Facebook page.

If you have not filed your 2018 income tax return or have questions about applying for or renewing an ITIN, visit us at one of our offices in Hidalgo and Cameron Counties.

Leave a Reply