What to Know About DACA
- If you received DACA before and your DACA expired on or after September 5, 2016, you can still submit your DACA request as renewal.
- If you received DACA before and your DACA expired before September 5, 2016, or your DACA was cancelled earlier at any time, you can not apply for DACA as renewal, but if you can file a new initial request for DACA (with all the Documentation as if it were to apply for the first time).
- If you have never had DACA before, you may not submit an application now. Only people who have had DACA at some point in the past can submit a renewal application.
- No new advance parole requests will be granted. Pending applications will be denied, and money refunded by immigration office
Know Your Rights Everyone
Both documented and undocumented persons have rights in this country. Visit one of our offices & talk to a LUPE immigration services provider to understand your legal options and if you might be eligible for another immigration benefit. Click here for more information
If you have an encounter with Border Patrol, DPS State Troopers, or a local police department and you believe your rights were violated, please call the ACLU abuse documentation line at 956-365-9167.
If the DACA program ends but you are allowed to keep your work permit, you have the right to work legally until your work permit’s expiration date.
- Even if the DACA program ends, you have no obligation to inform your employer that DACA has ended. Your employer does not have the right to ask you whether you are a DACA recipient or how you got your work permit.
- Your employer does not have the right to fire you, put you on leave, or change your work status until after your work permit has expired. If your expiration date is nearing, your employer may ask you for an updated work permit but cannot take any action against you until after it is expired.
Social Security Numbers (SSNs)
Your SSN is a valid SSN number for life, even once your work permit and DACA approval expires.
- If you have not done so already, apply for a SSN while your DACA and work permit are still valid.
- You can and should continue to use the SSN you got under DACA as your SSN even after your work permit expires. (You can use your SSN for education, banking, housing and other purposes.)
- Your SSN contains a condition on it that requires a valid work permit to use it for employment purposes.t
Driver’s Licenses and Other ID’s
Eligibility for these depends on the state in which you live. If you have not already done so, apply for a driver’s license or state identification card if your DACA is still valid and that makes you eligible for a driver’s license or state-issued identification card in your state.
Travel on Advance Parole
DACA recipients should not travel abroad on advance parole.
- If you are outside the country with advance parole, make sure to return right away and while your advance parole and EAD are valid.
Any criminal arrest, charge, or conviction can put you at risk with immigration authorities.
- Avoid contact with law enforcement that may result in a criminal arrest. If you end up being arrested, make sure to consult an expert immigration attorney.
- If you have a criminal conviction, find out if it can be changed to lessen the impact on a future immigration case you may have.